Friday, September 7, 2012

Way of the Grey Crane



















Believe it or not, I've been working on this piece for two weeks. Not eight hours a day or anything like that. Just off and on for the last two weeks. I had a clear idea of what I wanted and how I wanted to do it: an avenue thronged with colorful oriental ladies with parasols strolling through shade and sunlight between great ancient pine trees in broad colorful strokes. And for two weeks I tried to get that down. Mostly because it was the only idea I had... This a very scaled back version of that idea; I wanted a lot more ladies and parasols, but that never worked. And I wanted sun and shade, and that didn't really work either. I wanted bold strokes, ha.  Nothing much worked, in fact. But it's been two weeks...  The main claim to fame of this piece is that I just painted like I don't know how to paint, trusting that having painted off and on for half a century something about it would be interesting. I could be wrong on that.

18x24" 45x60cm acrylic on hardboard

No comments:

Post a Comment