Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Foot Bridge at Willowbee


This piece is a variation on Monday's The Weir Near Compton Station.  I  had that painting up and last night while looking at it without my glasses on -- the best way to view my paintings -- I noticed a light area that looked like it could be a building in the trees -- essentially this painting. This painting is a little too up and down, too literal, but it will do.

Painting like I do, I have to be sure that the viewers realize that I am not trying to be detailed. If there is any confusion, they might think I am trying to be detailed and failing.  That was the problem with my work yesterday which I scraped off and did not post. Besides not liking the colors, it was a too much of a scene, too detailed but not detailed enough to work.

Below is today's afternoon painting. It is actually the same scene that I was trying to paint yesterday, thought less of a set-piece then the first attempt. In my first attempt I was attempting to put my morning walk to good effect by painting sunrise on the trees and the full harvest moon still low in the western sky. It was just out of my current comfort range when it came to colors & such.  This one is one of my standard issue misty morning ones.

The Old Lock at Willowbee



each 18x24" 45x60cm acrylic on hardboard

No comments:

Post a Comment