Friday, January 15, 2010

Before Dusk


I don't have an education in art, so I may be bring coals to Newcastle here, but I believe that the lines within a picture play an important part in the emotional response to a picture. In this case, my original sketches had a curve to the alley that was lost in the finished painting. I felt the straight lines of the finished painting (last post) made the picture cold and uninviting, so I decided to repaint the same scene, but with a curving alley instead, the result is above. Of course, doing the same basic painting again allows one to smooth out and improve the painting, but still I think this is an improvement, a much more inviting scene. I am not quite done with this painting just yet, but the work is mostly in the details and perhaps a bit more toning on the shadows... tomorrow morning's work.

18x24" 45x60cm acrylic on watercolor canvas

No comments:

Post a Comment