Thursday, October 20, 2011

Autumn on the Heath

















My intent was to paint a night scene, creating the sky by using a series of washes and layers using extra acrylic medium to see if I could create a sense of depth and richness in the sky. Big problem. Well, two big problems. First, I didn't know what I was doing so I tried this and than and this and that didn't work. And secondly, I was forcefully reminded that I hate to paint that way. I don't like doing art projects. I like to paint, as in painting a study or a sketch. That's how my talent works. I never use a study as a basis for a 'studio' or finished piece. The study or sketch is it.

Anyways, I painted a more conventional night sky last night and started doing the foreground when I realized that wasn't going to work either, so I changed the course of the painting to a day scene by more or less painting over the night sky and here's were we ended up. A bit gloomy, but I don't paint all that many gloomy paintings, so what the heck.

18x24" 45x60cm acrylic on hardboard

No comments:

Post a Comment