Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Sunset Along the Bike Trail

















I painted  this piece today to mark reaching the 4,000 mile mark (6,400km) riding my bikes this year, mostly along the abandoned railroad converted to a bike trail. Ten miles in the morning, and again in the evening, and if I'm bored, another 10 -14 mile ride mid-day. It adds up.

I actually used a photo I took (below) as reference for this piece. Not my usual practice, and as you can see, I took my liberties. For one thing, I could not find that orange, so I toned everything down.  And as you can see, this is very much a sketch. I feel that if you're going to paint realistically, you've got to be really good. I'm not that good or that patient, so I have to make sure people realize I'm not really trying to paint realistically by being very unrealistic. Of course, most people don't like that, but oh, well.

12x16" 30x40cm acrylic on hardboard


















Well the differences in color sort of bugged me, after I posted the painting, that I decided to see if I could fix it . What a disaster. I've had to redo the whole painting several times just to get the painting below. This is why I hate to do commissioned pieces - and won't anymore. Meeting a specific target, in this case my own, and making it good enough for me, the customer, and the price is just too stressful. I'm not going to do this again. I'm just going to make things up...

No comments:

Post a Comment