Friday, August 9, 2013

Late Summer Along Lost Spring Road



















I see it's been more than a month since I last painted a picture. I've always relied on intuition and inspiration to paint without any formal training. When inspiration and intuition fails I've nothing to fall back on and am pretty much out of luck. And the spring of inspiration and intuition seems to have run dry. I could, I suppose re-hash old scenes, like this piece, but that really doesn't interest me. Instead, I don't think I'll be painting for a while and see if anything changes. I'm not holding my breath, it's been hard to come up with things to paint for a year or more, so I'm far from sure this is a temporary thing.

But it's not like I'm not continuing to create. I'm just into words these days. I've finished the almost final draft of the first four episodes of my open ended science fiction serial "Captain of the Lost Star".  If it passes muster (a big 'if') with various reviewers, I'd like to self-publish as an ebook this fall sometime. It's a 60,000 word introduction to the characters of a tramp space ship plying the Nine Star Nebula. My plan is to add 10,000-15,000 word connected short stories on to it to keep the story going to where ever in the Nebula it's going. I'm planing to draw some illustrations and will post them here if I do. In addition I'm working on another science fiction novel with the working title of "The Rhymer's Gate" which I hope to have done by the new year. I write, as I paint, for fun, so that if I do finish them to my satisfaction, I'd publish them myself as ebooks if I don't think I'd embarrass myself too much. We'll see.


18x24" 45x60cm acrylic on hardboard

1 comment:

  1. Your work... your work... I love it.
    I know that, to you, this piece of yours may feel recycled, or whatever, but this piece pulls me in and captivates me. It is beautiful, and gives that coveted sense of atmosphere, of "being there," that I always find in your work.

    Also, I'm glad your writing is going well. And I'm glad to hear that you're staying creative one way or another.

    ReplyDelete