Saturday, September 17, 2011

Grimshaw Road

















Poor Rowboats in the Park, always fated, it seems, to be painted over. This is what I painted over the most recent of rowboat paintings. I spent all day getting nowhere, and then last night, I just painted this before going to bed. In part it's inspired by what was left on the board of all the scenes I tried before and scraped off. The name of the road hints at the painter who's work, I was thinking about: John Atkinson Grimshaw, recently (mid-Sept. '11) in a Telegraph.co.uk picture feature of a collection of Grimshaw's paintings:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/culturepicturegalleries/8762559/Atkinson-Grimshaw-Painter-of-Moonlight-at-the-Guildhall-Art-Gallery-in-London.html?image=5

I really like the November Morning 1883 piece. I'm going to have to explore those colors more.

12x16" 30x40cm acrylic on hardboard

No comments:

Post a Comment