Friday, October 9, 2009

River Morning


Last night, looking at last week Friday's painting I got an idea: I saw the trees as a plume of steam and smoke from a steam engine or two and so I set out today to paint such a scene.  And I did. The only thing is that I did not like it, and, having done some similar pieces, I decided that it was too much of a 'been there, done that' sort of thing, so I  scraped it off and scrambled for another idea.

The problem with painting cities and buildings is that they are rigid and sharp edged, so they're hard to render in a loose sketchy style typical of  this series of paintings, even in a fog.  It is a problem I've yet to solve, so I opted for a river scene today -- another option I've been considering.

18x24" 45x60cm acrylic on hardboard

No comments:

Post a Comment